Friday, September 25, 2009

pg. 147 Chocolate and Brandied Fig Torte

I welcome you back to my laboratory with a little dish called "chocolate and brandied fig torte." Or, as I had to rename it "chocolate and red wine rehydrated fig frozen pie." Equally as delicious, I'm sure...but it wouldn't be right if I called it something it's not.

This was something I literally made off-hand because I had most of the ingredients kicking around my pantry. I didn't have any brandy, but I still had some red wine around from previous experiments so I decided to utilize this in my project.

Chocolate and Brandied Fig Torte
1 1/2c. dried figs
4T brandy (or in my case, red wine)
7oz gingesnaps
1/2c. melted butter
1/2c. milk
9oz plain chocolate
5T sugar

Chop figs and place in bowl. Pour liqueur over the figs and allow to absorb until most of the liquid is gone. Put cookies in food processor and pulse until crumbs. Mix with 1/2 of the butter until moist. Press crumbs into a metal or other freeze-proof pan to form crust and chill. In a saucepan, slowly heat milk and chocolate. Stir continuously until melted and smooth. Put into a bowl to chill. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining butter and sugar until fluffy. Fold in figs and chocolate, and pour into chilled crust. Freeze overnight. Serve with a garnish of whipped cream, cocoa powder, or fresh figs.

I unintentionally made this vegan by using vegetable oil instead of butter, and soy creamer rather than milk. I also substituted leftover dark chocolate chunks and red wine for the plain chocolate and brandy. Still tasted fabulous! I think I have found my first success in Making Ice Cream and Iced Desserts! Just when I was about to give up on 'em ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment