Thursday, September 10, 2009

pg. 174 Syrupy Brioche Slices with Vanilla Ice Cream

I just happened to have brioche rolls hanging around the apartment, and thought that this morning was simply made for this recipe. The book shows the slices to be very thick, but I made them about 1/4" thick and I thought they were perfect. I feel like if they were any thicker, the treat would be too bread-y. The syrup is awesome, and when it caramelizes into the brioche it is just...marvelous.


Syrupy Brioche Slices with Vanilla Ice Cream
butter for greasing
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/4c. sugar
6T water
1/2t cinnamon
4 brioche rolls
1T confectioner's sugar
vanilla ice cream

Grease a gratin dish and set aside. Put orange zest, juice, sugar, water, and cinnamon into heavy saucepan. Heat gently, stirring until sugar has dissolved, then boil for 2 min without stirring. Remove syrup from heat and pour into shallow heatproof dish. Preheat grill. Cut brioche into slices. Dip one side of each slice in the hot syrup and arrange in gratin dish, syrupy side down. Reserve remaining syrup. Grill brioche until lightly toasted. Turn over and dust with confectioner's sugar. Grill for 2-3 more min or until caramelized. Top with scoops of ice cream and serve immediately.

I cheated quite a lot...I didn't grill, I pan seared. I also didn't bother with a gratin dish because it seems like it is only there as a transport tool. Very tasty, and would probably try again if I ever had some more brioche rolls kicking around, but it's nothing I would go out of my way to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment