Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inspiration: Vanilla Bean Wasabi Ice Cream

In my mission to raise money for my new ice cream machine, I was given an idea. One of my donators, Zach, and I were talking about strange and unique flavor combinations, and he suggested that I try making a vanilla wasabi ice cream. I couldn't get the idea out of my head. Sweet and spicy are two flavors that practically exist for the sole purpose of making magical, tasty love together. With that, I purchased some vanilla beans and wasabi powder and went along my way.

The texture was smooth, but the flavor was..weeeeell...interesting. I think I underestimated the power of wasabi when I was adding it, so it definitely overtakes any of the vanilla flavor. In attempt to balance, I sprinkled vanilla sugar over the ice cream when I served it. It did allow me to taste more vanilla bean; however, the wasabi still gave me a kick in the throat that I wasn't too fond of.

I think if you like horseradish and/or wasabi (because they are essentially the same thing) you would like this a lot...but just for safety I cut back the amount of wasabi in the recipe below.

Vanilla Bean Wasabi Ice Cream
5 yolks
1/4c. sugar
2c. milk
1 vanilla bean pod
1.5 T wasabi powder

Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds into milk. Simmer. Meanwhile, heat eggs in a water bath with the sugar until eggs reach 160*. Cool, and add wasabi. Strain, and rinse of the vanilla pod. Dry it off and stick in a small jar. Cover in sugar and allow to sit. Once the base has cooled, churn and freeze.








Wasabi





2 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon this blog and it's fantastic! I also have an ice cream blog: www.frozenfix.com

    ReplyDelete