Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inspiration: Vanilla Bean Wasabi Ice Cream

In my mission to raise money for my new ice cream machine, I was given an idea. One of my donators, Zach, and I were talking about strange and unique flavor combinations, and he suggested that I try making a vanilla wasabi ice cream. I couldn't get the idea out of my head. Sweet and spicy are two flavors that practically exist for the sole purpose of making magical, tasty love together. With that, I purchased some vanilla beans and wasabi powder and went along my way.

The texture was smooth, but the flavor was..weeeeell...interesting. I think I underestimated the power of wasabi when I was adding it, so it definitely overtakes any of the vanilla flavor. In attempt to balance, I sprinkled vanilla sugar over the ice cream when I served it. It did allow me to taste more vanilla bean; however, the wasabi still gave me a kick in the throat that I wasn't too fond of.

I think if you like horseradish and/or wasabi (because they are essentially the same thing) you would like this a lot...but just for safety I cut back the amount of wasabi in the recipe below.

Vanilla Bean Wasabi Ice Cream
5 yolks
1/4c. sugar
2c. milk
1 vanilla bean pod
1.5 T wasabi powder

Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds into milk. Simmer. Meanwhile, heat eggs in a water bath with the sugar until eggs reach 160*. Cool, and add wasabi. Strain, and rinse of the vanilla pod. Dry it off and stick in a small jar. Cover in sugar and allow to sit. Once the base has cooled, churn and freeze.








Wasabi





1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon this blog and it's fantastic! I also have an ice cream blog: www.frozenfix.com

    ReplyDelete